An insight into thematic programming…
@Daniel Lippel, guitarist of ICE International Contemporary Ensemble. Contemporary guitar duo FretX (Dan Lippel and Mak Grgic) is dedicated to the wide range of dynamic repertoire that exists and is coming into existence for their combination.
@Adam Del Monte, flamenco guitarist. In a new and exciting collaboration, guitarists Adam del Monte and Mak Grgic team up for a fresh and spontaneous duo, with their program "La Buena Vida", taking you on a journey through Latin American and Spanish landscapes. Brand new arrangements of Guastavino, Granados, Albeniz, traditional Argentinian Tangos and original flamenco compositions by Adam del Monte, cast a renewed spirit into the world of the guitar duo expressed through two dynamic artists, each with their own voice.
The Ligeti Project
FretX and composer Anderson Alden team up on a project to create a new insight on Ligeti's iconic Piano Etudes. This Project will be an ongoing creative effort, where sets of guitar arrangements will be written of Etudes II, IV, V, VII, VIII, X, XI, and XIII, workshopped with FretX in LA and paired with Alden’s original compositions, drawing inspiration from Ligeti, Javanese Gamelan, and American rock and folk music.
This program takes a listener down memory lane of favorite cinema from the past few decades. By offering originals or adaptations of music featured in famous films such as The Deerhunter, Raging Bull, The Godfather, Chariots of Fire, Vicky Cristina Barcelona and many others, the soothing sounds of the guitar will evoke your fondest memories.
• L. Bernstein: Somewhere and Tonight from West Side Story
• E. Granados: Danza Espagnola No. 5 from Almodovar’s Kika
• I. Albeniz: Asturias from Woody Allen’s Vicky Cristina Barcelona
• N. Rota: The Godfather’s Waltz from The Godfather
• T. Albinoni: Adagio in G Minor from Gallipoli
• E. Morricone: Gabriel’s Oboe from The Mission
• J.S. Bach: Chaconne from The Beast with Five Fingers
A program of early music in historic temperaments and new music of ethnic origin. This exciting adventure features microtonal re-tunings of classically fretted guitar and re-fretted guitars in music ranging from spectral to world-music.
• S. L. Weiss: Entrée
• Georgi Dimitrov: Sub Rosa (2015)
• Francesco da Milano: Fantasias & Ricercars
• Hakki Cengiz Eren: Three Portals (2014)
• Anderson Alden: Ayak-Ayakan (2016)
• John Schneider: Lament and Fugato
• Johann Sebastian Bach: Chaconne, BWV 1004
Perhaps one of the most exciting musical cultures, music from the Balkans breathes richness and irregularity in rhythm and phrasing. Mak’s heritage from the Balkans gave inspiration for Balkanisms, a program full of rich folk inspired writing and contemporary outlook at music from Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Slovenia.
• Boris Papandopulo: Three Croatian Dances
• Miroslav Tadic: Jovka, Chicho & Three Balkan Pieces
• Nina Senk: Twisted
• Vojislav Ivanovic: Cafe Pieces
• Dusan Bogdanovic: Levantine Suite
• Lazar Ostojic: Stairway to Balkans
Titans of Music
This program is dedicated to the composers who have set the course of music over the past centuries. It is a testimonial that even in it’s minimal sense of soundscape, the guitar is an instrument well fitted to showcase many of the musical tour-de-forces. Examples:
• J.S. Bach: Chaconne
• W. A.Mozart: Rondo Alla Turca
• J.Brahms: Intermezzi op. 117 & 118
• J. Haydn: Sonata in D Major, HOB XVI: 37
• F. Schubert: Schwanengesang, D. 957
Fin de Siecle
Paris Conservatory at the turn of the century was one of the strongest and most prestigious music establishments in the world. Its faculty procured famed students such as Debussy, Ravel, De Falla, Albeniz and many more, who fused the music of Spain and France and created styles that were abundantly more colorful and vibrant than any till then. Fin de Siecle, a program of works by such composers, gives the guitar a chance to shine as an instrument of color and gorgeous soundscapes.
• M. De Falla: Danza del Molinero, Homenaje, La Vida Breve
• J. Rodrigo: Invocation and Dance, Toccata, Tres Piezas Espagnolas
• M. Ravel: Pavane pour une infante defunte
• C. Debussy: Arabesque No. 1, The Girl With Flaxen Hair
• I. Albeniz: Granada, Sevilla, Asturias
• E. Granados: Danzas Espagnolas